Monday, March 7, 2011

Peach Tree Got Some Serious Trim

After procrastinating for last 2 years I have finely pruned our super productive Peach Reliance (Prunus persica). What a job it was! It is not the physical aspect of it but deciding what to cut and how far to cut. In the beginning I took it slowly; you can always cut more but once it is cut, that’s it. In the end we liked the result. I figured that the wood I cut would have produced at least a bushel of peaches. The loss of peaches for this season doesn’t bother me since we gave most of the fruits to our neighbors anyway. I am just anxious to see what the tree will look like once the leaves are out. Now I have to find out how to heal the cut wood of one branch that is a bit rugged and slightly split. I don’t want any disease to get into the wood and possible kill the branch or even the whole tree. It is high time to get some advice from Garden Web.

No comments: