Monday, August 29, 2011

Salmon Tartare


I was a little bit surprised when looking over my salmon recipes (17 posts!) that I didn’t publish recipe for Salmon Tartare, one of the simplest and fastest way so serve a salmon. There are as many versions of Salmon Tartare as there are cooks. It is pretty much almost-anything-goes with one important exception: just like anything Tartare (basically raw protein) it has to be absolutely fresh. To be on a safe side and also to make it easier to chop I freeze my overnight and then let it partially de-freeze in refrigerator till I can chop it with my cleaver.

 

Ingredients
Salmon fillet, skinless and boneless, about 6 oz.
1 Tbs. capers, chopped
Lemon zest from 1 lemon
Lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
1/2 Avocado, chopped
1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt or to taste
Furikake for garnish, optional
Cucumber slices for serving

Slice the fillet into 1/4” slices, place in sandwich bag and freeze overnight. 1 hour before preparing the Tartare, remove salmon from freezer and place in warmest part of refrigerator. Cut the fillet slices into 1/4” julienne and then into 1/4” cubes. Place chopped salmon into mixing bowl.
Add chopped capers, lemon zest, lemon juice, chopped avocado and sea salt.
Mix with fork till well combined.
Serve on slices of cucumber and garnish with Furikake (optional).
This is very quick and healthy snack.

No comments: