Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Veggie Garden Update June 8th

Now that we finally got some extended periods of warm days and nights the garden really came to life. Unfortunately, with hot humid days came storms and some plants got damaged. My largest tomato plant Mountain Magic lost a big branch that had about dozen tomatoes on it. Now I know that I should have staked it few days ago.

Left side was broken off by storm.

We should be eating our tomatoes soon.

Peppers are quite small but some have large fruits for their size. I have never grown this variety before (Green to Red from Johnny’s Seeds) so I have no idea what to expect.


Snow Peas are in flower and growing well.


This year I have planted 3 kinds of beans (clockwise from top):
Yard Long Chinese (excellent flavor and no strings)
French String-less Green (very sweet flavor)
Yellow Bush Beans (first year)
In center are 3 plants of Sweet Red Banana Peppers (thick flesh and excellent flavor)


My Hardneck Garlic is doing very well and Music and Irkutsk varieties started to have scapes and by next week it will look like a field of little piggy tails. I am amazed how long scapes alone or in pesto last in refrigerator. Last year even after 4 months later they were tasting just like freshly picked.

Tomatoes, Basil and in front of raised bed are radishes (Japanese White, not Daikon)



No comments: